Friday, July 27, 2012

It begins!

Chemise a la reine, Manchester Galleries
I have just received the green light from Dr. Lambert at the Manchester Galleries to have special access their chemise gown during the gallery's closed hours.  Unfortunately, they cannot unmount the gown for me to study flat, so I will be conducting my research while it is dressed on the mannequin, but I'm not in the least bit bothered by that.  Just getting up close to the gown will tell me so much about how it was made, how the fabric behaves, how it was constructed, etc.

The plane tickets to England have also been booked, and I'm in the process of figuring out transportation and accommodations. There's also a number of other research trips I plan on making while in the UK, including the MEDATS conference at the British Museum, the focus of which will be the newly discovered 15th century linen "bras" from Germany. Gotta keep up to date on all the latest pre-1800 research out there!

To say that I'm excited is an understatement.  I am RIDICULOUSLY excited!

6 comments:

  1. Squeeee!!!

    Did you get my last email?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm... any chance you could do a class on those 'bras' for Collegium?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been thinking of going to the MEDATs conference myself, though that would break my rule of never going to confernces when I don't present, but it would be nice to be in London and meet Teddy and just make connections.

    ReplyDelete